The National Confectioners Association has declared Feb. 19 is National Chocolate Mint Day. In celebration of this day, you can explore with various chocolate mint recipes that suit your taste buds and needs.
The combination of chocolate and mint came about in the early 1900's when patrons were given dark chocolate and mint leaf after dessert to cleanse their palates and freshen their breathes.
Mint is not just there to garnish your meal or dessert plate. The benefits to eating mint leaves or drinking the tea, is that it not only aid your digestive system but it helps calm a headache and ease heartburn.
The health benefits to eating mint leaves are its rich in vitamin C which helps your immune system. Also consuming fresh mint gives you some of the daily requirement needed for iron and potassium.
The health benefits to eating dark chocolate are it helps decrease blood pressure and increase blood flow. Also it may help in preventing plague from forming in the arteries.
For those who love chocolate and mint they have a choice of getting this treat in either milk or dark chocolate, although it is commonly sold with dark chocolate.
On National Chocolate Mint Day try variety of these flavors in a scoop of ice cream, a piece of cake, some cookies, a shake or smoothie.
Chocolate mint is similar to chocolate peppermint except the inside of the mint candies are green representing the color of mint leaves. However peppermint and mint both help aid in digestion and calm stomach discomfort.
Chocolate Mint Desert Balls
• 9 ounces chocolate chips, melted
• ½ cup creme de menthe Andes candies
• ½ cup of crème de menthe Andes candies chopped
• 3 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
• A pinch of nutmeg
• 2 cups of chocolate chips for dipping
1. In large bowl, mix together the melted chocolate, cream de menthe, cream cheese, cinnamon, vanilla extract and nutmeg.
2. Mix mixture until completely smooth. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
3. Use a small cookie scooper to form approximately 1 inch balls.
4. Roll balls and dip balls in melting chocolate.
5. Sprinkle with chopped Andes candies and refrigerate for 30 minutes.