The 2014 Great Salt Lake Bird Festival has begun, but even if you haven't registered yet, there's still time to get in on all the birding fun. Festival events continue through Monday, May 19, and field trips that still have available tickets include:
- Morgan County: Backyard Birding in 2 Habitats (Saturday)
- Farmington Bay WMU "Behind the Gates" Units (Saturday)
- Birds & Spurs – Birding By Horseback (Sunday and Monday)
- City Center Bird Walk (Monday)
- Exploring Promontory (Monday)
- Sunset Pontoon Boat on the Great Salt Lake (Monday)
Other trips also have available openings, and last-minute changes are always possible. Even if you don't want to sign up for a specific trip, you can visit the Davis County Legacy Events Center in Farmington for a wide range of great exhibits and activities on Saturday, including:
- Bird banding demonstrations
- Bird House Make & Take project
- Live raptor presentations
- Wildlife panel discussions
- Bird-themed movies
- Student art show featuring 850 pieces of artwork with the 2015 featured bird – visit to learn which tiny bird is a big hit in Utah!
And don't forget the tasty Dutch oven dinner on Saturday evening, featuring keynote speaker Tim Boucher (vegetarian options available).
Have a great birding weekend!
Not going to make it to this weekend's festival? Check out a comprehensive directory of birding festivals in May, all over the country and the world!