The aroma of vanilla is one of those scents that will fill the kitchen with warmth and a feeling of being home. Since home is where the heart is meant to be preparing your family with homemade goodies made with some homemade vanilla sugar will bring joy to everyone, a delicious scented kitchen to everyone who walks through the door and desserts or a treat at breakfast time to savor.
Vanilla sugar is so simple to make with only two ingredients. This sugar mixture is a treat when sprinkled upon pancakes, waffles or French toast. It is the perfect light glaze when topped over a just out of the oven fresh baked cake. Imagine how coffee will taste in the morning with a spoon of vanilla bean sugar instead of imitation additives.
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 vanilla beans
- Pour the one cup of sugar into a mason jar.
- Add the two vanilla beans to the jar.
- Cover the vanilla beans with the remaining sugar and seal jar.
- Place jar in pantry or cool area in house for 24 hours.
- Leave vanilla beans in the jar and use the vanilla sugar as needed for recipes and drinks.
- As you empty the sugar from the jar it can be replenished with more. Just let the jar sit for 24 hours before reopening the jar.
- Once the aroma of the vanilla beans can no longer be detected a new batch of vanilla sugar needs to be made with new vanilla beans since the original ones have depleted themselves completely.
© 2013 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
Never miss another recipe, cooking tip or news story again! Subscribe to Beverly Mucha @ Jackson Cooking Examiner and receive a free notification every time something new is published.
More reading topics from this author: