In case you haven't already heard, this coming Sunday is Easter. If serving brunch is a part of your holiday plans, you will definitely want to serve this delectable Challah bread French toast with cinnamon and vanilla bean from Chef Eric Crowley of Culinary Classroom.
Challah Bread French Toast with Cinnamon and Vanilla Bean, Yield: 6 Servings
- 4 slices Challah bread, thickly sliced (1" to 11/4")
- 8-9 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Whole milk
- 1/4 lb (1 stick) Sweet butter
- 3-4 Cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Maple syrup
1. In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk & vanilla together.
2. Place bread in shallow pan & cover with half of egg mix then turn bread over & cover with the remaining mix. Allow 20 to 30 minutes for bread to soak up mixture, turning bread once or twice more.
3. Melt butter in a skillet then add cinnamon sticks and egg soaked bread and sauté at a medium-to-high setting until toasted (about 3 minutes per side). Be certain to replenish skillet with butter if needed.
4. Just before removing from skillet sprinkle lightly with cinnamon powder.
5. Serve with warm maple syrup.