Glacier View Landscape & Design, Inc. offers these tips for reducing energy consumption on your property through efficient landscaping:
- Place your air conditioner in the shade to reduce its energy use by up to 10 percent.
- Allow at least 3 feet of open air between the air conditioner and any shrubs or trees to ensure proper air flow to maintain system efficiency.
- Plant deciduous trees to the south, east and west of your home to reduce the impact of solar heat. Trees can reduce surrounding air temperatures by up to 9 degrees. Temperatures directly under trees can be as much as 25 degrees cooler than the air above nearby asphalt.
- Planting trees that lose their leaves in the winter will give protection from the summer heat while allowing the sun to warm your home in the cold of winter.
- During winter, dense foundation planting (shrubs) act as a windbreak on the north and northeast sides of your home and can help protect your home against wind chill.
Your well-planned landscape can reduce your winter heating bills by up to one-third. Call Glacier View Landscape & Design, Inc. to help you plan and plant for effective energy conservation as well as aesthetic beauty.