As Summer 2013 begins to dissipate before our eyes like a democratically elected government in the Middle East or a Kardashian marriage, the question on everyone’s mind in such trying times is how to preserve the golden age of our summer glows when Daft Punk’s “Get Lucky” fades into the harsh reality of the glass shattering school marching band.
Summer beauty isn’t always about preserving the natural-we are from Los Angeles after all-natural isn’t always in our lexicon unless we are referring to our macrobiotic vegan diets. For us, the fun is in the diversion from the mundane-the creation of a parallel universe to our cross coast counterparts who shovel snow while we don Ugg boots and Juicy pants when the windchill drops to a frightening 73 degrees in the dead of winter. Its simply a matter of perspective and these skin and beauty must-haves will keep us glowing while we reluctantly retire our bikinis until the weather permits…like over Christmas break.
Skin: Fall tends to dry up that summer sheen turning our glimmering complexion into something like hickory smoked jerkey unless we are fastidious with skincare that corresponds with the change of seasons. The following cleansers and facial care items will help you preserve what is left of your summer lovin'.
1) Carrot Butter Cleanser by The Organic Pharmacy: this multi-tasking elixir not only cleanses with rosemary, lavender and of course carrot, but leaves behind a heavenly aroma of essential oils that grace the complexion with a layer of moisture that lasts all day! If you thought carrots were good for your eyes, wait until you try this sublime cleanser/moisturizer. ($69-www.theorganicpharmacy.com)
2) Herbal Recovery Gel by Jurlique: this all natural healing serum restores, firms, hydrates, and revitalizes the skin to minimize the visible signs of aging. With its rich infusion of herbs and precious plant oils, this expert treatment will bring out your skin's most youthful glow. With the scent of natural rose infusing every pump, this is a luxury treatment indeed that won’t leave the skin feeling weighed down by synthetic parabens. ($50-www.sephora.com)
3) Blackhead and Pore Clearing Duo by Murad: a change of season usually yields pure pore panic but this dynamic duo is clinically proven to reduce the formation of unsightly blackheads. With powerful zit zapping ingredients such as volcanic mineral clay and shikakai extract, dirt and excess oils are extracted from within while pomegranate seed oil tightens pores and refines skin’s complexion. ($49.50-www.sephora.com)
Makeup: Why does autumn have to resurrect the drab neutral matte makeup that we painfully suffered throughout the 90’s? Perhaps makeup companies infer that since the return to school signals the end of all that is fun and carefree, that our choice of makeup colors and texture must unfortunately become a casualty of this phenomenon? Ivy League can once again be geek chic with the subtle influence of color and iridescent hues lending a subtle wink to that nerdy hottie professor in “Don’t Stand So Close to me”.
1) Make Up For Ever Aqua Rouge in “Coral”: Coral is indeed the new pink and hopefully its sexy bold come hither effect will last through Thanksgiving. Formulated with a combination of high molecular weight polymers and volatile oils, Aqua Rouge locks color on the lips for a smudge-proof result that will not transfer or fade. Its intensely pigmented formula provides immediate, opaque color with extreme shine, and its creamy, non-sticky texture glides effortlessly on the lips for comfortable wear. ($24-www.sephora.com)
2) Mally Perfect Prep Liquid Luminizer: The perfect sheen to brighten anyone’s back to school blues, this lightweight yet potent concoction will allow you to put on a fresh face even when faced with a math midterm. With micro-shimmer this luminizer has the perfect pearl sheen. and pretty and really makes skin look like it's bathed in the most flattering light. This product can be worn alone all over the body or mixed into body lotion. Create radiance on the face and anywhere else you want the perfect amount of light. ($30-www.qvc.com)
3) Mally “Easy on the Eyes” Collection: every girl’s fantasy of gorgeous peepers under on roof, this six piece collection allows you to mix and match shadow shades to create many different looks--while looking fierce and fashionable for hours! Whether it's a classic, all-natural look; a smoky eye effect; or a playful, fun look, the sky's the limit! This kit includes a shadow palette with 11 wearable, versatile, brightening shades that follow top trends; three eye-defining, long-wearing Starlight Eyeliners; a maximizing, lengthening Volumizing Mascara; and a Perfect Prep Under Eye Brightener. An absolute must-have for those on a student budget without adding to the trillion dollar student loan debt! ($54.98-www.qvc.com)