Skip to main content

See also:

Endia Martin, 14, murdered by another 14-year-old girl over a boy in Chicago

Senseless Chicago murders continue to plague the city
Senseless Chicago murders continue to plague the city
CBS News screenshot

Endia Martin, a 14-year-old girl in Chicago, was shot to death. After the incident, another 14-year-old girl has been charged with first degree murder in the shooting. According to the Chicago Tribune on Tuesday, two other persons may also be charged in the homicide case.

The charges against the 14-year-old girl came after a person of interest in the case was questioned by Chicago Police Department authorities. Chicago’s Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy has said that two other individuals are in custody and will likely be charged with the murder of Martin as well. Explaining the circumstances of the gunshot murder in the city, McCarthy said that what would have been – under normal circumstances – a fist fight between girls over a boy, turned into a murder.

According to an ABC News report, the murdered teen was walking home from school on Monday at approximately 4:30. Martin attended Tilden Career Academy which is located in the 900 block of West Garfield on Chicago’s South Side. The girl was shot in the back while another girl – who is 16 years old – was shot in the arm. The 14-year-old offender ran away but was apprehended and taken into custody some 20 minutes later.

Ironically, Martin’s parents claim that their daughter had recently transferred to Tilden Career Academy to have a shorter and safer route to school. There is no word as to whether or not this route to and from school was on or near one of Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s “safe passage routes.” The routes were designed when Emanuel closed some 50 schools last summer which not require school children to cross gang-territories to get to and from school.

Martin was taken to Comer Children’s Hospital where she died. The 16-year-old girl who was shot in the arm is expected to recover. She was taken to St. Bernard Hospital.

McCarthy has apparently chosen to use the horrendous tale of yet another murder in Chicago over a gun rights statement. McCarthy said that the weapon involved in the shooting was reportedly missing by a legal gun owner in the 4th District of the city on April 13 after it was stolen out of a vehicle. In Chicago’s top cop’s words, “This is madness.”

He continued to say that there are too many guns coming in, and no one is going to jail for guns. He claims something has got to change but did not specify what he thinks should be done. Many believe that McCarthy and Mayor Emanuel should spend more time fighting crime in the city rather than spending time pointing the finger of blame – which apparently isn’t easing the number of murders to an acceptable rate. Earlier this month, the Chicago Tribune reported that the Chicago Police Department isn't accurately reporting crime in the city. The report states that crime is much worse in Chicago than is being reported by McCarthy's department.

Regarding the owner of the stolen gun, a 24-year-old uncle of the suspect is possibly facing charges as an investigation looks into how the shooting suspect got his gun. With the warmer weather comes the increased number of murders in Chicago. Two weekends ago, when temperatures were warmer, the city had 9 murders throughout the city. Last weekend, a less-perfect weekend in the city, saw 4 persons murdered in Chicago.