‘Ender’s Game’ rocketed to the top of the domestic weekend box office, according to industry figures released Monday.
The military sci-fi epic based on the classic Orson Scott Card novel opened with $27 million in ticket sales.
Comedy ‘Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa’ slipped from the top spot to No. 2 in its second weekend, earning $20 million for a total of $61.5 million since opening Oct. 25.
Adult comedy ‘Last Vegas’ starring Michael Douglas, Robert De Niro, Morgan Freeman and Kevin Kline debuted at No. 3 with $16.3 million.
Animated family comedy ‘Free Birds’ opened at No. 4 with $15.8 million.
Space drama ‘Gravity’ starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney fell three spots to No. 5 in its fifth weekend, earning $12.8 million for a total of $218.8 million since opening Oct. 4.
BOX OFFICE NOTES
- ‘Gravity’ is the ninth film in 2013 to cross the $200-million mark in ticket sales, which is one more than the record-breaking 2012 had at the same point last year. 2012 finished with 11 movies topping $200 million in ticket sales.
- Films in 2013 remain on pace to break last year’s record in ticket sales with $8.9 billion through Nov. 3, according to industry tracker Box Office Mojo. Movies in 2012 earned $8.2 billion through the same period last year.
FRIDAY’S NATIONWIDE RELEASE
- The Norse god of thunder returns to face a mighty enemy in the superhero sequel ‘Thor: The Dark World.’ Rated PG-13. Watch the official trailer here.
TUESDAY’S DVD/BLU-RAY RELEASES
- Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock and David Spade reprise their roles in comedy sequel ‘Grown Ups 2.’ Rated PG-13.
- A Capitol policeman must protect his daughter and save the president in dramatic action-thriller ‘White House Down' starring Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx. Rated PG-13.