There is a high cost of hiring new employees, often running as high as 150 to 200% of the annual pay for the position. Most existing employees want to do a good job and many are trying to do a great job. Despite their talent and determination if they do not have the resources they need to reach this goal of success they will become weary and disengaged.
A top responsibility of a supervisor is to ensure their employees have the resources they need to get the job done quickly, properly and thoroughly. Yet with the spending and headcount cutbacks the very idea of new resources can send those in charge of dollars into cardiac arrest.
The important thing to remember is that not all resources are costly.
Of course computer equipment, office supplies, and additional people are very expensive. Yet sometimes they can actually reduce overall expenses. One Metro Detroit company purchased Microsoft Access to replace a rudimentary Excel spreadsheet system of keeping track of some departmental data. With Excel they needed someone to cut and paste data at the end of the day to get an overall report of the day’s transactions. By migrating to Microsoft Access they were able to have real-time reporting with everyone working on the same data at the same time. The resulting time savings enabled them to cut overtime, paying for the Access software and development in less than three months.
Other resources are free. One of the best is by allowing certain employees to network with their peers using Linked In or networking groups. Motor City Connect offers general peer to peer networking opportunities.
Creativity will reduce the expense of providing necessary resources – provided one has not had a sip from the “it costs too much to provide resources right now” Kool-Aid.
©2014 Max Impact, used with permission.
Resources for you:
- Employment Diversity in Michigan, a human resources networking group on LinkedIn.
- Max Impact offers free employee training materials
- Cultural roadmap, look at the contents of the character within each of us.
- Cultural Faux Pas and Culture Quizzes are interesting quizzes to test your diversity knowledge.
- Keep your workforce motivated with these motivational quotes.
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons for employee and leadership development.
- Employee training and development materials from Amazon.