There are many important tools that can be used in an emergency situation. However, this article only aims to focus on the most basic, and likely the most needed. The list below contains items that you should always have available in your home.
- Folding shovel: You never know when a shovel will come in handy, and a folding shovel is very portable.
- Seat belt cutter: Keep one in every vehicle that can be accessed easily by the driver. This can save your life if you are stuck in your vehicle.
- Fire starter: Fires can be used for warmth and cooking. Always have a fire starter handy.
- Utilities: Keep handy whatever tools you may need to turn off your utilities following a disaster.
- Flashlight: If you have battery operated flashlights keep extra batteries with it. Keep flashlights in your vehicles, and your home. In your home, make sure you have at least one for every person.
- Knife: Knives are used for more than just violence. They can be used to cut a bandage out of clothing, or etching a "help me" message into the side of your house. Follow any laws for your area when keeping a knife. Ensure that it is out of reach of children.
- Radio: Keep a portable radio with extra batteries handy. If there is a disaster, emergency instructions will usually be sent out over the radio.