Every year, Ellen DeGeneres dons her Santa hat and hosts “12 Days of Giveaways,” which is very similar to Oprah’s “Favorite Things.” However, Ellen’s version stretches out for a dozen days. On Dec. 5, she gave away $1,700 worth of Christmas cheer to kick off “12 Days of Christmas” in 2013. Concerning her desire to make others happy during the holiday season, Ellen told the “LA Times,” “With Christmas, as you get older, it’s about the joy you get from giving and seeing the reaction of the other person.”
At the beginning of Thursday's episode, elves magically transformed Ellen’s set into a Winter Wonderland. After chatting with Adam Levine, this year’s Sexiest Man Alive, the two pulled a prank on the audience that involved an over-zealous fan who pretended to be disappointed that she was meeting Levine, instead of George Clooney. “Have you done your Christmas shopping yet?” Ellen asked. When she added, “Well, I can help you out,” the audience roared with approval and excitement.
Day one of “12 Days of Giveaways” in 2013 focused on Target. Ellen DeGeneres gave away $1,500 worth of Target gift cards to each and every person in her studio audience. She also presented them with a $200 American Express gift card. The day’s loot totaled to $1,700 – not a bad haul to start off Ellen’s season of giving. To see day one, be sure to check out the video above and to the left.
In 2013, Ellen is once again giving TV viewers at home several opportunities to win the prizes from her “12 Days of Giveaways.” She calls it “12 Chances To Win 12 Days." Below is how you can participate and register to win.
- Ellen website: Every day, ten winners will receive all of the giveaways from that day.
- Facebook: Ellen’s Facebook fans get a chance to win each of the 12 Days of Giveaways.
- Twitter: Follow Ellen on Twitter. You never know when she’ll tweet a chance to win 12 Days prizes.
- Instagram: Follow Ellen on Instagram for fun and exciting ways to win a full day’s worth of 12 Days prizes.
- Yahoo Shine: Go to Ellen’s Good News page to win each day’s prizes. You could even win every single 12 Days prize.
- YouTube: Find the secret link to enter on one of Ellen’s “Heads Up” videos on YouTube, and you could win!
- Pinterest: Find Ellen’s pin of her holiday set for a very Pinteresting way to win.
- Vine: Follow Ellen on Vine and find the Vine with the secret link for another chance to win the prizes for that day.
- Newsletter: Ellen’s newsletter subscribers get a chance to win 12 Days prizes. Subscribe here.
- Tumblr: Find the image of Ellen’s viewers winning 12 Days prizes, and you would be a winner.
- Watch & Win: After the 12 Days of Giveaways, tune in to Ellen’s Watch & Win for another chance to win.
- GetGlue: Check in to every day of Ellen’s 12 Days of Giveaways on GetGlue and you could win, too.
“12 Days of Giveaways” continues through Friday, Dec. 20, but Ellen could throw in an extra day for good measure, just like she did in 2012.
Ellen’s fans always look forward to her “12 Days of Giveaways.” Here’s what a few said on Thursday on the official Ellen Facebook page.
Ellen and her angels are just amazing. My favorite time of year. Makes giving even more easier.
It is really amazing what funny can do. And now she’s giving away more!
Wish I could be there. They are all so lucky.
I’d do almost anything to be in that audience.
I dream of being there someday. For now, I am happy for all of those who are lucky enough to win. Keep up the fabulous generosity.
You are an inspiration to many with your wonderful generosity.
“The Ellen DeGeneres Show” airs every weekday on NBC. Check local listings for air times.
Do you want to stay in-the-know? Then sign up to get my articles personally delivered to your in-box. Just click on SUBSCRIBE and you'll stay up-to-the-minute with the latest TV news.