A vision for the future: Elizabeth Warren electrified the audience at Netroots Nation on Friday, delivering a fiery keynote speech promoting a progressive agenda amid continuing calls for her to reconsider a run for president in 2016.
Warren’s appearance at Netroots Nation, a gathering of progressive activists from around the country, was met with rowdy chants of “Run Liz Run!”
To which Warren immediately replied: “Sit down, sit down, sit down!”
Warren then launched into her speech, a relentless stream of righteous fury directed at “big banks,” “powerful corporations,” and “sleazy lobbyists” conspiring to exploit working Americans.
Warren told the cheering crowd “We have to talk about what does it mean to be a progressive, to be an American” and then went on to list the beliefs at the core of the progressive political heart in 2014. After each one, the crowd cheered, and sometimes stood.
The following are the 11 progressive values for America as articulated by Warren:
- “We believe Wall Street needs stronger rules and tougher enforcement, and we’re willing to fight for it.
- “We believe in science, and that means that we have a responsibility to protect this Earth, and we’re willing to fight for it.
- “We believe that the Internet shouldn’t be rigged to benefit big corporations, and that means real net neutrality, and we will fight for it.
- “We believe that no one should work full-time and still live in poverty, and that means raising the minimum wage, and we will fight for it.
- “We believe that fast-food workers deserve a livable wage, and that means that when they take to the picket line, we are proud to fight alongside them.
- “We believe that students are entitled to get an education without being crushed by debt, and we will fight for it.
- “We believe that after a lifetime of work, people are entitled to retire with dignity, and that means protecting Social Security, Medicare, and pensions, and we will fight for it.
- “We believe — and I can’t believe I have to say this in 2014 — we believe in equal pay for equal work, and we will fight for it.
- “We believe that equal means equal, and that’s true in marriage, it’s true in the workplace, it’s true in all of America, and we will fight for it.
- “We believe that immigration has made this country strong and vibrant, and that means reform, and we will fight for it.
- “And we believe that corporations are not people, that women have a right to their bodies. We will overturn Hobby Lobby and we will fight for it. We will fight for it!"
Warren told the cheering and admiring crowd: “We will fight and we will win – that’s my message today.”
For more political news, information and humor see Left Coast Lucy on Facebook. For more news, information and humor relevant to atheists, freethinkers, and secular humanists, see Progressive Secular Humanist Examiner on Facebook. On Twitter follow Progressive Examiner.
And be sure to follow the new blog, Progressive Secular Humanist.