Emergency crews responded around 2 p.m. on Oct. 10 to the Camp Avenue Elementary School on Merrick Road in North Merrick. Sources said as many as a dozen people were treated for exposure to the elevated levels of carbon monoxide.
In a statement, the school district said “some black smoke puffed out of a boiler” in the school. They said “a few students” were exposed to the colorless, odorless gas.
“To be on the safe side, 911 was called, the school was shortly evacuated and the fire department assessed the situation,” the statement read. School officials say emergency crews determined that it was safe for students and staff to return inside.
“The children who were exposed are being medically evaluated, and their parents have been notified.”
Nassau County police said the area surrounding the school has been closed off to cars “due to police activity.” Multiple fire trucks and ambulances were on scene.
North Merrick school officials say they anticipate an on-time dismissal.
This is a developing story. Stay with Examiner.com for updates as more information becomes available.