Whether it was during high tea, a light snack or the first course of an elegant manor dinner party, during the Edwardian era it was very common to serve a wonderful pastry called Cheese Pasties.
These wondrous pockets of flakey pastry were what the aristocrats called "savory." They were filled with celery, turnips, leeks and carrots and a touch of spice. The filling was held together by a staple of all abbey kitchens, cheddar cheese.
So for your next party celebrate the way they do at the Abbey, with Grantham Cheese Pasties!
Ingredients needed to make Grantham Cheese Pastries (makes 8):
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup butter, chilled and diced
- 3 Tbs. ice water
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 turnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 leek, washed and chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 4 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour and salt. Add the butter and using a pastry blender or your fingertips, cut the butter into the flour until it resembles a coarse meal. Stir in the ice water to form a dough.
- Form the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and chill 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 375.
- In a medium bowl stir and combine all the remaining ingredients.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces. Roll out each piece of dough into an 8-inch circle.
- In the middle of each piece of dough add some filling and cover by folding the dough in half (it will now be semi-circle shaped). Moisten the edges with water and pinch the ends to seal.
- Make a few slits on top of each to act as an air vent and place on baking sheets.
- Place in oven and bake 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 and bake 15 minutes or until golden in color.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack 5 minutes before serving.
The internationally bestselling cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards, "Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals," is now in it's third printing and available worldwide in both hard cover and e-book versions. The paperback version will be released March 4, 2014.