It may very well be the quintessential authentic English product in American markets and in many cases, it may be one of the most expensive. Authentic English lemon curd is a complete joy for the tongue when it is made properly and using all natural ingredients, just like they did during the Edwardian era in England. For fans of the acclaimed television show Downton Abbey, you have seen Mrs. Patmore make lemon curd many times and for a very good reason, it is delicious and can be used in so many ways.
One of my favorite ways to use lemon curd is to fill meringue cups with it. It can also be draped over freshly made pound cake and of course a very classic and regal presentation, spooned over some fresh berries for a delicious and very healthy dessert.
There is no longer a need to spend a lot of money on real lemon curd. It is very simple to make and will last up to two weeks. It only takes a few minutes and five ingredients!
For more on the food of Downton Abbey, visit the free Facebook page called The Food of Downton Abbey!
Ingredients needed to make Edwardian Lemon Curd (makes 2 cups):
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- grated zest from all the lemons used
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled and sliced
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk the lemon juice and sugar until the sugar has dissolved.
- Whisk in the egg yolks and lemon zest and continue whisking until the mixture has thickened to the point of a custard sauce.
- Whisk in the butter one piece at a time. Whisk each piece until it has melted into the curd.
- Once all the butter has been whisked in, keep whisking just until the curd begins to come to a simmer.
- Remove the lemon curd from the heat and let it cool.
- Place the lemon curd into a clean jar, seal and chill until ready to use.
The internationally bestselling cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards, "Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals," is now in it's third printing and available worldwide in both hard cover and e-book versions. The paperback version will be released March 4, 2014.