When most people make a quiche, the base of the dish is a pastry crust. Nothing wrong with this and it is the classic way to prepare a quiche. What happens, however, if the lord of the Abbey decides at the last minute he would like a quiche and you don't have time to prepare a proper pastry crust? Simple, you make it crustless!
This is a very simple dish to prepare. The potatoes, browned and cooked to perfection, will act as the base of the quiche. The filling is some eggs, green onions and garlic. To give the quiche a splendid final folly for the tongue, you add some smoked ham!
Even better, since there is no crust for this quiche, it is also gluten-free!
For more on the food of Downton Abbey, visit the free Facebook page called The Food of Downton Abbey!
Ingredients needed to make a Crustless and Savory Ham and Egg Quiche (serves 4):
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbs. cream
- 4 green onions, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced smoked ham, julienned (cut into thin strips)
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large non-stick pan.
- Add the potatoes and cook until tender and browned on both sides.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, green onions and garlic.
- Pour the egg mixture over the eggs and swirl the pan around to evenly coat.
- Layer the ham over the eggs.
- Place the pan into the pre-heated oven and let bake 7-10 minutes, until the egg has set and it is puffy.
- Remove from the oven and shake the pan to loosen the quiche from the pan. If needed, run a spatula under the quiche to loosen it.
- Slide the quiche from the pan unto a cutting board.
- Sprinkle some fresh herbs over the quiche.
- Slice the quiche into wedges and serve.
The internationally bestselling cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards, "Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals," is now in it's third printing and available worldwide in both hard cover and e-book versions. The paperback version will be released March 4, 2014.