Enjoy the food that celebrates the phenomenon which is Downton Abbey. Embrace the elegant dining of the Yorkshire estate of the Earl and Countess of Grantham and the dishes enjoyed by the Crawley family and their illustrated guests. It is the characters which make Downton Abbey the success it has become but it is the food which keeps these character's alive!
Live as they live. Eat as they eat. Enjoy your stay at the Downton Abbey!
During the reign of King George V, it was protocol that if you served bread with the meal, you must serve a soup. During this time the most popular soup among the aristocrats was the satiny splendor of Cheddar Cheese Soup.
Ingredients needed to prepare Cheddar Cheese Soup (serves 4):
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
- 3 Tbs. minced chives
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, potatoes and garlic and saute 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook 10 minutes.
- Add the contents of the saucepan to a food processor and puree.
- Into the saucepan whisk together the dry mustard and heavy cream over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook, while whisking, 3 minutes.
- Stir the puree into the pan and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sharp Cheddar cheese and hot sauce and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Ladle into serving bowls, top with chives and serve.
The internationally bestselling cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards, "Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals," is now in it's third printing and available worldwide in both hard cover and e-book versions. The paperback version will be released March 4, 2014.