If you're a fan of Downton Abbey you've seen the people who live and visit the abbey munch on scones, crumpets, popovers or muffins of one type of another. If you have the bestselling book Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals, you may have even made some of the above mentioned goodies. This fresh and natural spread would be perfect for these -- smooth, creamy, rich and slightly sweetened with the freshness of freshly harvested blackberries!
To properly make this spread, you will need fresh blackberry syrup. The process of making this syrup is really as easy as heating water. In the recipe section below, we will give you the ingredients and steps you'll need to make fresh blackberry syrup.
For more on the food of Downton Abbey, visit the free Facebook page called The Food of Downton Abbey!
Ingredients needed to make Blackberry Cream Cheese:
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup blackberry syrup (see recipe below)
- Into a mixer with the paddle attachment, place all the ingredients and beat until smooth and cream.
- Spoon into a bowl and chill until ready to use.
Ingredients needed to make Blackberry Syrup:
- 2 cups blackberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- Place the blackberries into a food processor and puree. Spoon the puree into a bowl.
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, stir the sugar, water and lemon juice until the sugar has dissolved and the water is clear.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the mixture cool.
- Strain the blackberry puree through a fine sieve and discard all solids.
- Stir the sugar syrup into the blackberry puree and chill until ready to use.
The internationally bestselling cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards, "Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals," is now in it's third printing and available worldwide in both hard cover and e-book versions. The paperback version will be released March 4, 2014.