Each generation currently in the workplace displays a different set of assets and liabilities. Grouped together these become a somewhat predictable attribute known as the generational work ethic. An interview with Elaine, an Australian female baby boomer, we can see a great example of how her generation formed their work ethic.
“I was formed more by my cultural/societal influences than by my parents," Elaine says.
“Understanding where the influences on one’s character originated is often a key to relating to other cultures,” says Max Impact of getmaximpact.com.
Elaine says she was taught that "any work available was worth doing" and that "all work was honorable".
By always putting forth her best effort to be a great employee she would be "rewarded by promotion". Of course a good day’s work earned a good days pay.
It was a good experience for her as she learned "to present myself in a way that was not confronting to men but made them want to promote me."
She felt that as an Australian women she was "able to work [her] way through the ranks. Paper qualifications were not necessarily required - experience was."
Through hard work Elaine was able to excel.
"I have had very rewarding life - career wise,” Elaine reflects. “I believe that it was due to the time I was born in. I have been a Jill of all trades and have been able to be a mistress of all of them."
Other baby boomers shared these values as their peers reacted to the work ethic of their parents. With television and movies presenting these same traditionalist values the baby boomer generation it is little surprise that Elaine’s values would be so emblematic of an entire generation.
© Max Impact, used with permission.
Learn more about today’s generations:
- Builders / Traditionalists, born before 1944
- Baby Boomers, born between 1943 and 1964
- Generation X, born between 1961 and 1980
- Generation Y, born between 1977 and 2000
- Millennials, born after 1998
- “Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Boomers, Gen Xers, and Gen Yers in the Workplace”
- “Because I Said So! ”: The Truth Behind the Myths, Tales, and Warnings Every Generation Passes Down to Its Kids.
- “When Generations Collide”: Who They Are. Why They Clash. How to Solve the Generational Puzzle at Work.
- More books about generations.
- For viewing: Thousands of vintage old television program and classic movies at Amazon Prime. Get a free trail.