“Making his Champions Tour debut and being inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame have made 2013 an exceptionally exciting year for Monty,” said Tournament Director Jeff Kleiber. “The SAS Championship is a happy to welcome him to Prestonwood Country Club and we are excited to offer the Triangle the opportunity to see all eight of our committed Hall of Famers.”
The tournament is scheduled for Oct. 10-13 at Prestonwood Country Club in Cary.
In addition to Montgomerie, other Hall of Famers expected to tee it up at the SAS are Larry Nelson, Curtis Strange, Sandy Lyle, Bernhard Langer, Hale Irwin, Nick Faldo and Presidents Cup Captain, Nick Price.
The eight Hall of Famers have accumulated 219 worldwide victories, including 21 major championships and 87 Champions Tour victories.
- Montgomerie has had two top 10 finishes out of the six Champions Tour events he has played this year.
- Nelson came within one stroke of matching his age last year at the SAS Championship when he shot 66 on Saturday to eventually tie for sixth place.
- Strange, a Morehead City resident, continues to play a very limited Champions Tour schedule mixed with television responsibilities for ESPN and its coverage of the Masters, U.S. Open and Open Championship.
- Lyle played in his 35th consecutive Open Championship this summer at Muirfield.
- Price will captain the International Team in this year’s President’s Cup the week before the SAS Championship.
- Langer returns to defend his SAS Championship title, and he's one of nine former event winners to play this year.
Tickets can be purchased online at saschampionship.com or by calling 919-531-4653.