A new year brings new resolutions to eat healthy and save money and you can do both. A popular breakfast item found on many an expensive brunch menu is Eggs Florentine, which can be high in fat, sodium and calories, but with a few tweaks you can make a healthier, inexpensive version at home.
You will need eggs, frozen spinach, wafer thin sliced ham or turkey, shredded cheddar cheese, English muffins and grated Parmesan or Romano cheese to make this version of healthier version of Eggs Florentine.
- Find out How to poach an egg by visiting my blog
You can substitute egg whites scrambled with some spinach for the poached egg, if desired.
Eggs Monaco – a healthier version of Eggs Florentine
Ingredients needed for Eggs Monaco:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 English muffin, split
- 2 to 4 ounces of shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 to 8 wafer thin slices of ham or turkey
- ½ of a 10 ounce package of frozen spinach, thawed, drained and all water squeezed out
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated
How to make Eggs Monaco:
- Toast the English muffin and poach the eggs.
- Heat the spinach a bit in the microwave. Make sure to squeeze out any excess water when you are done heating it. Butter the toasted English muffin if desired.
- Place some spinach on each half of the toasted English muffin.
- Place 2 to 3 slices of wafer thin sliced turkey or ham on top of the spinach. Place the shredded Cheddar cheese on top of the sliced ham or turkey.
- Place the hot poached egg on top of the cheese. Top the poached egg with a sprinkle of grated or Romano cheese.
- Yield: 2 servings
Never miss another frugal living tip, any frugal food news, recipes or cooking tips again! Subscribe to Rachael Monaco Frugal Living Examiner and receive FREE notification every time something new is published. You can also subscribe to Rachael Monaco Cooking Examiner for the latest food news and recipes.