"Meet the Hutterites: American Colony" appeared for only one season on Nat Geo channel until the church elders decided it would not be allowed to continue. The Hutterites of King Colony developed quite a following, evident from social media, and people are so disappointed that they are not returning. For most people, this was their first introduction to the Hutterite way of life.
One of the most-discussed topics on Facebook has been the most sought-after of the Hutterite recipes: the egg patties recipe that Tammy Hofer prepared when it was her turn to take on kitchen duty. The recipe was really illusive.
Your Knoxville Cooking Examiner had personally talked to Tammy Hofer, and she told me the basics of egg patties: part scrambled eggs, raw eggs, and onions in a dough. It sounded intriguing, but she did not know the particular amounts of ingredients.
I ran across another Facebook site called, "Favorite Recipes from a Childhood among the B-Hof and Hutterites." They did not know the egg patties recipe, but they had an egg pinwheel recipe that sounded much like it. i used it as a basic framework to which I added only a few tweaks. These were absolutely delicious, and I think it grasps the basic result of the Hutterite recipes that are used.
You can follow along on the process of making the Hutterite egg patties on the accompanying slide show.
- 2 1/8 cups flour
- 3/8 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 6 heaping teaspoons of sour cream
- ¾ cup water
- ½ large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 raw egg
- 10 eggs, scrambled
- 1 ½ cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup warm milk ( microwave for 60 seconds)
- Start by mixing the dough and placing the bowl in the refrigerator.
- Chop and fry the onion.
- Mix the remaining filling ingredients and allow to cool.
- Place chilled dough between two sheets of oiled aluminum foil and press flat.
- Remove top sheet and spread filling on top.
- Roll up like a big, sloppy cinnamon roll. Press the edges together.
- Place the roll in the freezer. You will need to support it with another container to avoid it breaking open.
- Check to see if egg patties are half frozen by slicing into the roll. If the roll is half frozen, slice and fry in hot oil. It will be necessary to place the remaining roll in the freezer until it is ready to be fried.
The Hutterites serve egg patties with ham and baked beans.