Egg and olive salad is a classic sandwich filling. It's perfect for a summer meal. Several people who have come from areas outside Pennsylvania say they had never had egg and olive until coming here. Use this filling recipe to make the perfect consistency for a satisfying sandwich. Using Pennsylvania Dutch horseradish mustard is a fine choice in this recipe.
Don't let egg and olive sandwiches, or anything made with mayonnaise sit out and get hot. Keep it cool and refrigerated to avoid spoilage.
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 rib finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 heaping tablespoon sliced green olives with pimiento
- 1 tablespoon minced flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- tomato slices (optional)
- Peel the eggs. Finely chop them.
- In a medium bowl, combine the egg, mustard, celery, mayo, olives,parsley, celery salt, and sugar. Mix well.
- Toast slices of bread, or leave them untoasted, depending on whether you like extra crunch or not.
- Spread filling on one piece of bread. Put second slice on top.
If you want your sandwich to look cool, use a little plastic skewer with a whole green olive to fasten it closed.