January 4, 2010
Vital to a healthy, Eco-ethical, renovation or remodeling is choosing environmentally-friendly products.
- Bamboo is a renewable material and widely available in several styles. Be sure it's LEED Certified.
- Cork is a renewable material, sound absorbing, and very versatile.
- Marmoleum is a spin-off of linoleum and is supposed to be environmentally friendly. Forbo is a conscientious manufacturer to consider for this flooring. Another linoleum source, with PA roots in Lancaster, is Armstrong.
- (FSC) Forest Stewardship Council certified hardwood that are collected in a socially responsible and sustainable manner.
- These paints have no volatile organic compounds in the form of organic solvents that add to indoor air pollution and lower-level ozone build-up. They are available at major home improvement stores.
- Lowe's carries Olympic Premium Interior Paints which are zero VOC and dry without a residual odor.
- Home Depot sells Freshaire Choice paints in 65 colors and is also zero VOC and available as a drywall primer as well as an interior latex paint.
Energy Star qualified appliances and products:
- Tankless Water heaters
- Programmable Thermostats
- Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs (CFL's) are energy efficient and last 10 times longer than incandescent bulbs.
- Low emissive (low-E) glass lowers the transfer of heat through the glass and saves energy.
- Appliances from refrigerators to washing machines and air conditioners.