Sunshine is abundant and water scarce in California these days, so keep your cool and order your bourbon neat as you celebrate our freakish winter at one of the Bay Area's top jazz spots. Gigs worth noting this week include:
- Hard-pounding percussionist Christian Pepin drives his band through "A Tour of Latin America," 8 p.m. Tuesday at Yoshi's San Francisco. $12-$14
- Guitarist Chieli Minucci and Speicial EFX explore a funkier flavor of fusion, 8 p.m. Wednesday at Yoshi's Oakland. $24-$29
- Trumpeter and vocalist Sarah Wilson and her band Fusebox create distinctively modern but refreshingly accessible jazz that draws on everything from Louis Armstrong to British post-punk, 9:30 p.m. Friday at Duende in Oakland. $10
- The FivePlay quintet plays original tunes with solid post-bop swing, 8 p.m. Saturday at Berkeley's Jazzschool. $12-$15
- East Bay vocal sensation Ed Reed weaves bluesy takes on the standards, 8 p.m. Saturday at Piedmont Piano Company in Oakland. $20
- Bay Area jazz guitar icon Calvin Keys keeps it funky with his Power Quartet, performing 7 p.m. Sunday at Yoshi's San Francisco. $14-$17
Send tips, comments and good vibes to the author.