Many people are trying to eat healthier these days. For good reason. Obesity rates are high, in adults and children. People are undernourished, even when they eat all their meals, so many are not getting in enough calcium, vitamin D, and other important nutrients, even when they are eating so-called "healthy" foods.
And forget about no-fat, low-fat, and lite foods. Think about what they are replacing the fat with. Fat is essential to a good diet. Going overboard is not the answer but good fats, such as olive as olive and coconut oils, are an excellent way to add this to your daily diet.
Should we be all nit-picky and not eat anything that is not nutritious? Will it really hurt us to go out for an ice cream once in a while?
Who knows? It is important that we try to eat basically good foods for optimal nutrition, but doing so is not always affordable. All we can each do is the best we can.
One thing is for sure, eating in a mainly unhealthy manner is not nourishing our bodies properly. And, by not eating nutritiously, we are not as healthy as we should be. We are not feeling well a lot of the time. So, let's try to eat as healthy as possible the rest of the year, and see how we feel. Maybe we will want to continue.
- Corned Beef and Vegetables
- Homemade Apple-Peach Sauce
- Homemade Fruit Juice
- Beef Taco Salad
- Lettuce and Cabbage Bowls
- Summer Squash Salad
- Skillet Fried Vegetables with Meat and Eggs
- Easy Chicken and Vegetable Salad
- Easy Fruit Cocktail
- Easy Autumn Soup
- Easy Thanksgiving Slow Cooker Meal
- Scrambled Egg Supreme
- Easy Vegetable Powder for a Crowd
- Easy Pork Roast with Vegetables
It is never too late to join a challenge. Try one of these.
- New Year Challenge: Introducing New Healthy Recipes
- New Year Goal: Eating Healthy
- Join in on a Healthy Recipe Challenge
And there are plenty of ideas in these articles.
- Nutritional Snack Ideas
- Easy, Healthy Snacks for Spring
- Healthy Harvest Snack Ideas
- Easy Harvest Soup Ideas
- Add More Fruits and Vegetables to Your Diet
- Easy, Healthy Eating Tips
Tell us how you are progressing with your healthy eating goals in the comments below. For more recipes and ideas, visit the Frugal Recipes blog.
Be sure to subscribe to Bangor Easy Meals to receive all new updates to the column. Please share articles you enjoy on Facebook, Twitter and other social and bookmarking venues. You may contact Shannon any time at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by leaving a comment here. And be sure to check out the book store for Beverages on a Budget and other cookbooks.