Asian American Women Artist Association (AAWAA) and Asian Pacific Islander Cultural Center (APICC) have announced they will co-present the multidisciplinary art exhibition "Eating Cultures," for the United States of Asian America Festival opening on May 1, 2014 through May 30, 2014 at SOMArts Cultural Center in San Francisco.
Featuring over thirty emerging and established Asian Pacific American artists from around the country, Eating Cultures is a deliciously provocative multi-disciplinary arts exhibition of artworks inspired by Asian American food and foodways.
Using food as a lens, artist share stories of global migration, adaptation, entrepreneurship, and the central importance of food in Asian communities around the world.
In addition to over fifty art, film, and literary works, Eating Cultures will feature Asian American oral histories provided by Southern Foodways Alliance via Guide by Cell, dynamic programming co-presented by Asia Society and the Culinary Historians of Northern California, a pop-up shop, and a recipe wall for audiences to share their favorite family recipes.
Eating Cultures is curated by lead curator Michelle A. Lee and co-curators Linda Inson Choy and Cynthia Tom, featuring APA artists of all genders selected by esteemed juror University of Connecticut Art History & Asian American Studies Professor Margo L. Machida.
Invited artists include Chinese-American San Francisco-based painter and sculptor Cathy Lu, Vietnamese-Irish American Los Angeles-based artist Genevieve Erin O’Brien, and Korean-American Berlin-based artist Kate Hers Rhee.
Dates: May 1st, 2014 - May 30th, 2014
Location: SOMArts Cultural Center, 934 Brannan St. San Francisco CA 94103
- Opening Reception: May 1st, 2014, 6pm-9:00pm
- Featuring food catered by La Cocina Incubator Kitchen
- Eating Asian America Panel Discussion: May 10th, 2014, 2pm – 4:00pm
- Co-presented by the Culinary Historians of Northern California
- Literary Sriracha: A Spicy Mix of Poetry, Mini-Memoirs, and Flash Fiction: May 17th, 2014, 2pm-4:00pm
- Co-presented by Asia Society
- Closing Reception, Community Potluck, and “Sausage Homage” performance by Genevieve Erin O’Brien: May 30th, 2014 6pm-9:00pm
- Co-hosted by Community Health for Asian Americans
Admission to the exhibition and programs is free and open to the public.
For more information on AAWAA and its mission and programs, please visit www.aawaa.net
Source: AAWA/Larsen Associates