Whether you're out for romantic evening, or spending the holiday with your best friends, Valentine's Day is the perfect opportunity to expand your dessert horizons and enjoy a treat that's both healthy and delicious!
When you eat vegan products, think of it as a love message to animals all over the world. And choosing vegan treats will also bring love to your body! Chefs often use fruits-- like applesauce, dates, and bananas-- as a healthier alternative to butter and eggs. Fool your non-vegan friends; have them taste a vegan cookie and see if they can spot the difference!
San Francisco's vegan market is growing and growing. It's easier to find yummy restaurants, bakeries, and shops that cater to omnivores, herbivores, and the gluten-free, too! Here are just a few of the wonderful goodies to try this Valentine's Day and all year round.
- The Plant Cafe Organic: This fabulous restaurant has an entire menu of veggie-loving bites, meals, and desserts. After dinner, melt your heart with one of their vegan cupcakes! Or dive in to their mango macaroons, and famous chocolate hazelnut cake! Check out all their locations online for the nearest spot to your neighborhood!
- Holy Gelato!: Craving something frozen and sweet? Holy Gelato! in Inner Sunset has the best gelato in San Francisco, and it's vegan! They are always bringing out new and creative flavors to taste. And don't worry about bringing your skeptical non-vegan boyfriend or girlfriend, because they have regular dairy gelato, too!
- Mission Pie: For Valentine's Day, Mission Pie is offering a special menu for lonely hearts and lovebirds, alike! Or go by their store in the Mission to try the vegan Apple Cranberry Pie or Carrot Muffin. They have vegan savory pies (Curried Cauliflower Pot Pie!) too for a yummy meal to bring home and share with your loved ones!
- Pepple's Donuts: Located at the Ferry Building, Pepple's Donuts is the perfect place to stop for a vegan donut in the morning as you take a walk down the Embarcadero. They're open seven days a week, and offer so many flavors you'll want to come again to try them all! Start your Valentine's Day off right with one of these yummy breakfast treats, and get one for your love, too!
- Jane: This cafe and bakery on Fillmore street has all the best coffee, tea, and baked goods to choose from! And many of them are vegan, too. Treat yourself to a soy mocha, and one of their chocolate chip or ginger cookies!
This Valentine's Day, feel love for your mind and spirit by delighting your taste-buds with a yummy, vegan dessert! You'll never know how much you'll like it until you try it for yourself. Next time you go to any local coffee shop or restaurant, scan their menu for vegan or vegetarian items (it's hard not to spot at least one!) and make the switch!