I have discovered a highly flavorful, comforting line of protein packed meal kits that will make fall and winter cooking a snap.
I love Indian food but who has the time to grind a dozen spices and soak legumes and watch a pot at a slow boil? Jaali Bean puts the wonderful colors, scents and flavors of Indian cuisine on the table in less than thirty minutes.
Founded by Chicago locals Monila and Brian Junkins and based on the foods Monila grew up eating, Jaali Bean meal kits make authentic Indian food accessible for the everyday cook.
Jaali Bean’s products are inspired by traditional Indian dishes such as Khichri, a mixed lentil and rice dish, and Dal, an Indian lentil soup. Mac 'n' cheese, meat loaf and mashed spuds are great but these dishes are tasty, healthy and comforting. I swear that I craved my leftovers of the Creamy Coconut Lentil & Rice Kit the next day. The Cardamom and Currant Lentil & Brown Rice Kit not only satisfied a gaggle of vegetarians and carnivores, but many asked me how I made such a tasty dish.
Monila Kotecha Junkins tells us that the home style recipes are unlike dishes offers in Indian restauants. "Our products feature the same light, fresh recipes you’ll find in an authentic Indian kitchen. They’re what I serve in my own home.”
Each Jaali Bean product features whole spices and all natural, non-GMO verified ingredients in clear packaging. The kits feature lentils, a protein-packed and fiber-rich “superfood,” providing an easy, inspiring way to cook up healthier meals while adding more meat-free and gluten-free options to the menu.
Served as vibrant sides or stand-alone dishes, each kit cooks up in less than thirty minutes with nothing more than a tablespoon of cooking oil.
· Creamy Coconut Lentil & Rice Kit: The slightly sweet notes of the toasted coconut are perfectly balanced by the savory spices in this South Indian-inspired dish.
· Warmly Spiced Lentil & Rice Kit: Enjoy this delicious blend of orange lentils and long grain rice spiced with coriander, fennel, cinnamon and nutmeg as a meal or a hearty side dish.
· Cardamom and Currant Lentil & Brown Rice Kit: Tart, sweet zante currants combine with the refreshing, floral flavor of cardamom to create the ultimate Indian comfort food.
· Cumin and Pea Lentil & Brown Rice Kit: Tender peas are paired with tangy tomato and aromatic spices like cumin, mustard seed, and coriander for a deliciously savory dish.
· Savory & Spiced Lentil Soup Kit: A delectable combination of orange, yellow, white and green lentils meets vibrant spices and a hint of heat to make this hearty and comforting soup.
Products typically retail for $4.99 for a 6.75-ounce package that contains four servings. For more information and to find out where to purchase Jaali Bean in the Chicago area, visit the web site.