Almonds are one of the most heart-healthy foods you could eat. Almonds are delicious and wholesome nuts full of vitamin E, magnesium, and fiber, and can help lower cholesterol. Eat healthy and celebrate today at the same time.
What are almonds?
Almond trees grow in the Middle East and South Asia. Almond trees produce a fleshy green fruit similar to a peach or apricot. At the center of the fruit is a stone-like seed. That seed is the almond nut.
Today, California produces 80% of the world’s supply of almonds.
Almonds can be eaten the following ways:
- covered with chocolate
Other than eaten by the handful, almonds can be in other forms:
- sprinkled over breakfast foods such as oatmeal
- sprinkled over desserts such as ice cream
- sprinkled over yogurt
- as almond butter
- as almond milk
- as almond oil
Tidbits about almonds
- The almond is highly revered in some cultures.
- The almond tree is mentioned numerous times in the Bible.
- In India, consumption of almonds is believed to be good for the brain.
- In China, the almond is a symbol of enduring sadness and female beauty.
Celebrate National Almond Day by eating almonds or using them in some form.