Let's be honest. January 31 celebrates a vegetable that is not on everyone's favorite food list. It's Eat Brussels Sprouts Day, an annual food holiday that encourages folks to give Brussels sprouts a second, third or fourth chance.
Whether you love 'em or well, not so much, these miniature members of the cruciferous family are really good for you! High in protein, iron and potassium, Brussels sprouts also contain Vitamin C, fiber and antioxidants.
In honor of Eat Your Brussels Sprouts Day, why not whip up one or two of the recipes listed below? Who knows, you may actually like them once you give them a try. Go ahead - you can do it!
10 Brussels Sprout Recipes That Don't Suck!
- Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad with Pan-Fried Goat Cheese and Pomegranate - This salad, which calls for Brussels sprouts, pomegranate seeds, goat cheese, honey, olive oil, red wine vinegar, an egg and bread crumbs, looks pretty darn good!
- Whole Wheat Pasta with Brussels Sprouts - This top-rated recipe, from Martha Stewart, calls for whole wheat pasta, olive oil, mushrooms, garlic cloves, lemon zest and juice and Brussels sprouts.
- Parmesan Chicken with Mushrooms and Brussels Sprouts - This recipe calls for chicken tenders, olive oil, grated Parmesan, mushrooms and Brussels sprouts.
- Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic and Cranberries - If anyone can make anything taste great, it's The Pioneer Woman! These actually look fabulous!
- Grilled Brussels Sprouts - Alton Brown shares this 5-star grilled recipe.
- Pan-Browned Brussels Sprouts - You'll need garlic cloves, Brussels sprouts, unsalted butter, olive oil and pine nuts for this recipe from Epicurious.
- Brussels Sprouts with Mustard Seeds - This recipe, from Woman's Day, calls for fresh Brussels sprouts, butter or margarine, lemon juice, mustard seeds and salt and pepper.
- Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Hazelnuts - Chef Chloe shares this simple recipe that calls for sprouts, olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, maple syrup and hazelnuts.
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Raisins - This recipe, from Bon Appetit, calls for bacon, Brussels sprouts, olive oil, golden raisins, a shallot, chicken broth, unsalted butter and apple cider vinegar.
- Cauliflower Soup, Crispy Brussels Sprouts and Smoky Salmon Roe Recipe - Soup's on! This 5-star recipe, from Tyler Florence, is perfect for chilly days.