Thinking of ways to spice up your daily dinner routine can be exhausting, and doing so while maintaining some of level of nutritional value in your diet is even more taxing. Salads aren't usually the type of meal that makes you want to rush home immediately to eat, but they needn't be boring. Try out this easy, 5-step Deconstructed Tuna Melt Salad for a fresh take on dinner and a flavorful alternative to tasteless, uninspiring salad options. You can make it as the main course or serve it as a tasty, protein-packed side to a pasta or rice dish.
Ingredients for each serving:
2-3 strips turkey bacon
1 small bunch of fresh chives, chopped
1 small handful of cubed cheddar cheese
2-3 large handfuls arugula
1/2 tomato, chopped
1 ice-cream scoop-full of canned tuna
1 tbsp mayonnaise
Salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper
1. Mix tuna with mayo and a couple dashes of salt and pepper.
2. Cook the turkey bacon and seasonings in a tbsp of oil in a frying pan for a 3-4 minutes to desired crispiness, adding chives about 3/4 of the way through cooking.
3. In a small bowl, mix tuna, turkey bacon, and chives.
4. Arrange arugula, tomatoes, and cheese on a plate; drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
5. Spoon tuna mix on top of salad, and enjoy!
If you're not a tuna fan or want to mix it up, trying substituting the tuna for chicken salad or throwing an egg on top of the arugula for extra flavor and texture.