Whenever there is a crowd to feed, vegetarian chili is an excellent option. Made with a variety of vegetables and beans, this chili is inviting to both carnivores and vegetarians. Serves 15-20
The great thing about this recipe is the choice of vegetables is all yours. This makes it easy to adjust to your family’s taste as well as use what you have on hand. Chose between on the stove top or crock-pot versions.
Easy Vegetarian Chili Ingredients:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped onions / 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
3 cups chopped bell peppers ~ green and red mixed
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
1-1/2 cups chopped celery
3 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
2 large cans chopped tomatoes with liquid
2 cans kidney beans, partially drained / 2 cans black beans, partially drained
4 -6 tablespoons chili powder (to taste)
1 tablespoon each: cumin / oregano / smoked paprika
Chopped fresh cilantro
Easy Vegetarian Chili Directions:
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan and sauté onions and garlic until tender.
2. Add bell peppers, carrots, jalapeno peppers and celery. Cook until the vegetables start to get tender, around 3 - 4 minutes.
3. Stir in in kidney beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, black beans and the seasonings: chili powder, cumin, oregano and smoked paprika Bring to a slight boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for ½ an hour.
4. Check the flavor, and add salt, more chili powder and/or garlic to taste. Chili can be thinned at this time with vegetable broth or thickened with vegetarian black beans. Simmer up to an hour, stirring occasional.
5. Add chopped fresh cilantro to the chili prior to serving. Have a shaker of pepper flakes available for those that want to add a bit of heat.
Super Easy Crock-Pot Vegetarian Chili Directions:
To make this recipe super easy, simply follow step one above and then add everything (except the fresh cilantro) to a crock-pot. Cook 6 - 8 hours.