Intro: Are you searching for some easy Valentine crafts for kids? Make these cute stained glass hearts with your kids and soon your home will be filled with lovely V-Day decorations.
Need Other Great Valentines Day Ideas?
- Valentines Day gift idea: Pretty jar of romantic quotes and sayings about love
- Homemade Valentine's cards: Make DIY pop up cards (easy craft for kids)
- Valentine's Day crafts for kids: How to make tissue paper roses (tutorial)
- Homemade Valentine gifts: Make candy roses for chocolate lovers
- Valentine love quotes by Shakespeare for 2014: Poems and quotes for cards
V-Day Decorations or Greeting Card? The Versatile Valentine Art Project
Kids like to make homemade Valentine's gifts, and the beauty of valentine art projects for kids such as this one is that it can be more than one thing.
Make one design and you have a heart-shaped table tent for your dining room table or fireplace mantel. Create another design and you get stunning homemade Valentine cards.
Doing fun art activities with your youngsters is also a way of inviting them into your holiday rituals. They learn through their easy Valentine crafts (or any other craft for that matter), how they fit into your family and that they can contribute to something really lovely. It's a win-win.
How to Make These Cute Valentine Crafts
I've made a list of supplies that you'll need to implement your V-Day craft ideas. If you need extra help, watch the tutorial video at the top of this page.
Supplies for the Easy Valentine Craft for Kids:
- Paper towels
- Wax paper
- Red and pink crayons - lots of them
- An iron
- Heart-shaped cookie cutters
- Red or pink thread
- Construction or greeting card paper
Instructions on How to Make the Stained Glass Heart V-Day Decoration:
- Grate the crayons so that you get crayon shavings. You can use a pencil sharpener or a cheese grater. Grate these into a bowl.
- Lay down a thick layer of paper towels -- several towels thick.
- Put down a large sheet of wax paper.
- Sprinkle the shaved crayon onto the waxed paper. Distribute the colors all around. It's the light shining through the finished product that makes the stained glass effect shining through the Valentine heart.
- Place another sheet of waxed paper on top of this and then another layer of paper towels. The paper towels absorb the crayon pigment when it seeps through the wax paper.
- Set your iron on low. Don't use the steam setting.
- Gently run the iron over the paper towel until the crayon wax melts.
- Allow the wax to cool.
- Place heart-shaped Valentine cookie cutters on top of the wax paper and draw the heart shapes with a pencil.
- Cut them out.
- Punch a hole in the top of the heart with a needle and string some thread through it.
- Fold a piece of paper in half and at the fold, cut out a circle. When you open the card, you'll have half the circle on each side of the paper.
- Tape the heart string to the homemade Valentine card.
- To learn how to make the Valentine table tent decoration for your home, watch the video to learn how to construct the tents.
You can find the supplies for this Valentine art project at your local arts and craft store, at big box store or on Amazon.