Here are some very easy to make broccoli recipes that will have friends and family asking for more.
Broccoli Stuffed Potatoes
3 large baking potatoes
2 large stalks broccoli
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 to 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Cheddar cheese
- Scrub the potatoes and make shallow cuts around their middles to make it easier to cut them in half after baking.
- Bake the potatoes at 400 degrees F until soft, about 1 hour, depending on the size of the potatoes.
- Meanwhile, cut the ends from the stalks of broccoli, peeling some of the outer skin off the stalks to make the stems more tender.
- Steam the broccoli until crunchy-tender and bright green.
- Drain broccoli and chop fine.
- Cut potatoes in half, scoop out the insides into a bowl.
- Add salt, olive oil and just enough milk to allow the potatoes to be mashed into a smooth paste.
- Add cheese and chopped broccoli and mix well.
- Pile the mixture back into the potato shells, arrange on a baking dish and heat them until hot.
Pasta with broccoli
2 cans (14.5 ounces) vegetable broth or 2 quarts homemade vegetable broth
1 teaspoon garlic powder
8 ounces dry pasta (penne, rotini, ziti)
2 cups chopped steamed broccoli
Grated Parmesan cheese
- In large saucepan, heat broth and garlic powder to a boil; add pasta. Boil 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broccoli to pasta.
- Return to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Serve with cheese.
Broccoli-Cauliflower Salad with Bacon
2 pounds broccoli, cut into florets
2 pounds cauliflower, cut into florets
1 2/3 cups thinly sliced green onions
2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons vinegar
1 cup cashews
2 cups dried cranberries
1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, cauliflower and onions.
- Combine mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar.
- One hour before serving, pour dressing over vegetables.
- Just before serving, add bacon, dried cranberries and cashews; toss.
Creamy Broccoli Soup
2 tablespoons minced onion
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
Salt and pepper
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups chopped broccoli
2 cups diced carrots
3 cups milk
- Sauté onion in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour and salt.
- Add broth, broccoli and carrots.
- Heat over low heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- DO NOT boil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.