Easy political activism for gun rights

envelope.jpg

On March 30th I wrote about who we are kept safe from with designated, but not security screened gun free zones. Bottom line: nobody. I have been asking business owners why they have them and often they say it isn't their policy, it came down from superiors. As I have a life other than second amendment issues, I don't come back or wait around to talk to the higher-up. Now I have an easy way to spread the word.

Here is an Adobe Acrobat file you can print off and use any time you run across a gun free zone. It contains a cover letter, a copy of my March 30th article, and a lined sheet of paper. You print them off, sign the cover letter at the bottom, and create your own self-addressed #10 return envelope. You put the three sheets and your return envelope into a plain #10 business envelope and seal it. When you come to a building or say, the California Pizza Kitchen, and see the Gun Free Zone sign at the front, you ask the greeter at the door who the manager is. When they tell you the person's name, you pull out your envelope and write their name on the front. You politely ask the greeter to get the letter into the adressee's hands and bid them a polite farewell.

If for no other reason than curiosity the letter will be opened, maybe read and possibly responded to. At the least you will have caused a decision maker to think about their gun free zone policy and made them aware that there are folks among the public who think GFZ's are silly and ineffectual at best, and create safe fire zones for killers at worst. If you do happen to get any responses, I would love to hear about it. I will write a column some time in the future about the success of this campaign and some of the responses that you received. Contact me at DanBidstrupAtHotmail.com (of course replacing At with @ to make the magic work). If you wish to keep a copy of the file on your computer, right click the link and select "Save Target as" and put it on your hard drive.

More from Gun Rights Examiners

Atlanta: Ed Stone  |  Austin: Howard Nemerov  |  Boston: Ron Bokleman  |  Charlotte: Paul Valone  | Cheyenne: Anthony Bouchard  |  Chicago: Don Gwinn  |  Cleveland: Daniel White  |  DC: Mike Stollenwerk  |  Denver: Dan Bidstrup | Detroit: Rob Reed |  Fort Smith: Steve D. Jones  |  Grand Rapids: Skip Coryel  |  Knoxville: Liston Matthews |   |  Los Angeles: John Longenecker | Minneapolis: John Pierce  |  National: David Codrea  | Parkersburg: Nicholas Arnold  | Phoenix: Douglas Little  | Pittsburgh: Dan Campbell  |  Seattle: Dave Workman  |  St. Louis: Kurt Hofmann  |  Tucson: Chris Woodard  |  Wisconsin: Gene German

Comments

• Robert 4 years ago

I would normally agree with you but I heard about an incident my daughter saw a few weeks ago that made me think. An idiot on a Friday night brought a gun into a bowling alley waving it around. She bowls there on Friday. Naturally everyone ran. The guy thought he was a big man until several uarmed men crept up behind him. It is amazing what several mad guys can do to someone who brings a gun to a place that says please leave weapons in you car. An armed security guard would not do anything or face the man but several unarmed men did and beat the you know what out of him. I am not sure that my being there and having a gun would have done alot except start a shooting war. But several men the wood be shooter dismissed sure taught the shooter a valuable lesson in bravery and in the fact that a gun does not make the man. While I defend everyone's right to self defense at any time I am not sure I would like to go into the bowling alley and see a lot of guns being worn. I collect guns as well

• Chiburbian 4 years ago

Robert - not to be a jerk but do you have a news or police report you can link to? If a person did wave a pistol around, then they were breaking the law and endangering others. This has the elements of a urban legend. It is a "friend of a friend," it is a topic of a general uncited nature. It contains a moral lesson (he "got taught a lesson").

Not saying it didn't happen but if it did the person should be in jail for brandishing a firearm. Unholstering your weapon for any purpose other than self defense (or to put it away/clean, etc) goes against everything I was taught in CCW class. What state did this happen in?

• Robert 4 years ago

It is not an urban legend. Both of my daughters were involved as victims in the incident and are witnesses. Happened at Crestview Bowling alley in Carmichael california and reports were taken the Sacramento county sheriif's department. Contact the Sacramento county Sheriff. friday night about two weeks ago. I was not there but several people I know were including my daughters.

• Gregg 4 years ago

Robert,
    I have seen a number of your comments on various of these articles. I am sorry but you obviously do not actually support the 2nd amendment and you actually come across as being at least a closet hoplophobe. I am glad that you live in CA and hope that you either stay there or move to Europe where you would obviously be happier with their firearm restrictions.

• Dan Bidstrup 4 years ago

Hi Robert,
    I am delighted to see you read my columns. Even if, especially if, you have reservations about people carrying weapons it encourages me that you continue to read. We need to talk "across the aisle" and not shoo off any who are not true believers.

• John F (Boulder, Co) 4 years ago

Robert says: "While I defend everyone's right to self defense at any time I am not sure I would like to go into the bowling alley and see a lot of guns being worn."

Ever hear about such an incident at a biker bar, rodeo, or gun show? If that idiot had known that 1 in 5 random average law-abiding people had a weapon and the wits and ability to use it correctly at the right time, would he have started it there?

Perversely, security guards can be useless or worse, since they have institutional inertia and liability litigation defense in mind above all. Too often, they'll "observe and report" while evil things happen.

3 guards watch as teen is beaten
    youtube.com/watch?v=D1O9YrgB8AA

Even police aren't required to act to defend people, and we have no legal recourse if they fail.
    ("Warren vs District of Columbia", "Deshaney vs Winebago County" for starters)

• FrankInFL 4 years ago

I searched for "carmichael crestview bowling alley gun".

Zip.