Spring is here, at least on the calendar. It is time to adorn the springtime dinner table with a delicious and creative, yet somewhat traditional, dessert. The presentation of this cake is lovely and the taste is delectable.
This cake is a light version of a classic recipe, which uses applesauce instead of oil and mostly egg whites instead of whole eggs. It makes it a little easier to indulge and enjoy.
Easy Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup, like Karo syrup
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple slices, drained
- Maraschino cherries
- 1 package (15.25 ounces) vanilla or yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 4 egg whites
- 1 egg
- In a small, microwave-safe bowl, combine brown sugar and corn syrup. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth.
- Spray 9"-square baking pan with cooing spray. Spread sugar mixture evenly on the bottom of pan.
- Press 9 pineapple slices into the sugar mixture.
- Place cherries in center of each pineapple slice.
- In medium bowl, beat cake mix, 1 cup water, applesauce, egg whites and egg until smooth.
- Spoon batter over fruit in pan.
- Bake in 350° oven for 45 minutes or until lightly browned and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on rack for 45 minutes. Run knife around cake edges. Place serving plate over cake pan. Invert cake onto plate. Gently tap pan to loosen cake. Lift pan off cake.