create a fun and easy craft project with the children while awaiting the countdown of the New York City Ball Drop Celebration!
You will need:
- Puzzle pieces from old puzzles that are missing pieces.
- Cardstock or cardboard
- Non-toxic glue
- Washable markers or colored fabric glue, glitter glue or puffy paint.
- A family picture or any picture of your choice. The picture will need to be cut to be placed as the centerpiece of the ornament.
Optional project supplies:
- Magnet if you would like to turn your ornament into a magnet for a refrigerator.
- If you plan to add a string to create your ornament, make a loop with the string and glue the bottom of the string in-between the puzzle pieces and the cardboard or cardstock.
To make the craft:
- Cut the cardstock or card board into the shape that you prefer. A circle or square work very nice for this particular project.
- Cut your picture to fit the shape that you have created in the previous step.
- Leave space around the picture to create a border for your picture.
- Create a frame around the picture by gluing the puzzle pieces around the picture.
- Decorate the puzzle pieces. You may simply make a few Polk-a-dots on each puzzle.
If you are making an ornament, add a string to create your ornament, make a loop with the string and glue the bottom of the string in-between the puzzle pieces and the cardboard or cardstock. Please make sure that the loop is secure by tying each end of the string together before gluing the string into he project.
If you are making an magnet, you will need to glue the magnet to the back of the project.
If you would like, you may turn your project into both a magnet and an ornament.
Have fun ringing the new year in with the children. Making a puzzle picture ornament or magnet is a fun craft that will keep tired children entertained while counting down the minutes until a New Year.
Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!