Down in the south cornbread is a basic staple on just about every table. Whether it is breakfast, lunch or dinner it is among the various dishes being served. It just wouldn’t be a true country meal without a side of cornbread. Some like it plain, some like it with a smear of butter and others love to soak up gravy with it. No matter how you love eating it having a new recipe for cornbread on hand is always a welcome treat. Adding some vegetables to the mix will made this side dish more nutritious and broccoli does have a lot of nutrients to add to any meal since it is one of the highest rated super-foods around. Try this quick and easy recipe next time you’re in the mood for baking some cornbread.
- 1 box of Jiffy cornbread mix
- 1 (10 ounce) box of frozen chopped broccoli
- 4 large eggs
- ½ cup of butter
- 1 ½ cups of grated cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup of chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons of cornmeal
- Olive or vegetable oil spray
- Preheat oven to 400’.
- Lightly coat a large cast iron skillet with oil.
- Then sprinkle the cornmeal in the bottom of the pan.
- Heat the pan in the oven for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the baking mix, eggs, butter, onions and cheese together.
- Blend until well mixed.
- Stir in the broccoli until all is coated.
- Place pan back into the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove pan and let sit for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges or squares prior to serving.
- If you don’t have a cast iron skillet a square baking pan will do just fine.
- Try some chopped spinach or zucchini another time to add a little different flavor and vegetable to the table.
© 2013 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
More reading topics from this author:
Find more recipes and cooking tips with easy step-by-step instructions visit me at Jackson Cooking Examiner. For fun, crafty, holiday, events, tips and tricks and education stories to enjoy join me at Home and Living Examiner. Interested in health issues, recalls, medical conditions and tips and tricks for a healthier lifestyle follow me to Healthy Living Examiner. Looking for celebrity news, scoops, pop culture, events, attractions and entertainment stories follow the Jackson Celebrity Examiner.