This is an incredibly simple, yet amazingly delicious salad. It only takes five minutes to prepare, so it is perfect for a busy weeknight meal, yet is still elegant enough for company. Arugula is a leafy green with a slight peppery taste. It packs a ton of flavor in a small bite.
This version uses dried cranberries, which are a great staple to keep in your pantry. However, the arugula lends itself to pair perfectly with great berries when they are season. Strawberries are in abundance now in the local farmers markets, Lanes Farms, and Fairview Gardens and would be an excellent substitute for the cranberries.
As always, have fun with variations on this recipe. Mix and match ingredients that suit your mood and family's preference! Enjoy the taste adventure!
Local Wine Pairing: Depending on what you're serving, this dish can pair well with either a red or a white. Favorite white: Brander Sauvignon Blanc (~$12); Favorite red: Oreana Pinot Noir (~$20)
1 bunch arugula (approx 2 cups)
1 handful dried cranberries (1/2 cup)
1/4 cup toasted almonds, chopped
2 tablespoons diced green onion (about 3 green onions)
1/2 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
dash sea salt
dash cracked pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Thoroughly wash and dry the arugula. A salad spinner makes this an easy step and even helps the kids involved in the dinner preparation.
- Place a handful of the arugula on each plate (or mix all ingredients in a serving bowl).
- Top evenly with the cranberries, cheese, onions, and almonds.
- Drizzle with the Citrus Vinaigrette and serve immediately. The arugula is delicate and tends to wilt if left in the dressing for too long.
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, mustard, Herbs de Provence, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Whisk until the dressing comes together. You can make this ahead of time, but it will separate. So, just whisk it again before serving. For a tangier dressing, use more citrus juice. For a mellower tang, use less and increase the oil amount.