Falling into a rut of boredom when it comes to quick, weeknight meals is easy to do. Do your kids moan and groan when you take that casserole dish out of the oven? If the answer is yes, you may be in just such a rut.
Time crunches, budget constraints and a myriad of other issues can cut into just how tasty your Tuesday night baked chicken really is. So, how does one affordably jazz up a boring, ordinary weeknight meal and make it irresistible?
Well, there are a few terrific answers to this perplexing question, but the number one response in my book: add bacon. Bacon adds flavor to any dish it’s mixed in to, and when it’s added to meat dishes it adds a delicious extra layer of moisture. The second least troublesome way to add zest to an average meal: add a crunchy coating. There are items in your pantry right now that can transform a drab meat dish in to something a lot more interesting.
These delicious oven-fried chicken thighs are wrapped in bacon, coated in seasoned cracker-crumbs and then baked. A little creativity and some simple additions can elevate the ordinary to the extraordinary.
Oven-Fried Chicken Thighs
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8 pieces)
- Salt and pepper
- Bacon, one slice for each chicken thigh
- 1 cup crushed Ritz crackers
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350°
2. Lightly season each chicken thigh with salt and pepper.
3. Wrap each chicken thigh with one slice of bacon and secure with a toothpick, if desired
4. In a bowl or in a plastic baggie, combine the cracker crumbs and the spices. Mix well.
5. Dredge the chicken pieces in the cracker-crumb mixture. Place chicken in a lightly greased 13 x 9 (or larger) baking dish. Bake for 50 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.