See also:

East Texas plagued with people attacks

Comments

• WYnWn 4 years ago

Thank you. Well said. It's nice to hear the other side of things. Banning a particular breed or type of animal resembles the worn argument of "guns don't kill people; people kill people" and carries the same amount of weight in terms of logic.

• Kri 4 years ago

Amen! I love this story because 99% of the time, it is the fault of people, not the dog!

• Stacy 4 years ago

Excellent article. Thanks for putting things in perspective.

• Marga 4 years ago

You are so right. Thank you for talking to the right people about careless people. This should get more comments and tons of likes from readers.

• Chris 4 years ago

You are a voice of reason about a subject that is emotion filled. I hope that those who are so anxious to ban certain breeds will take the time to read and consider what you have to say.

• Deborah 4 years ago

Great article! So nice to see an article with a little common sense and reason.

• Jenifer Soliz 4 years ago

Thank you for this article. We do have a people problem in east texas. On many facebook pages I have posted comments about how many people have dogs they obviously do not care about. In my neighborhood alone there are (by my estimates) around 100 dogs of all types running loose and chained to trees. Of those about half are a bull dogs of some type. People do not want to fix this problem. Our local law enforcement , humane society, and smith county animal control do not work together on anything. We have a serious problem and KLTV and the Tyler Paper are a major source of uncited statistics. About every other day there is a story on KLTV about a "pitt bull" attack. Even after letters and post they do not respond and seem to want to scare the hell out of the public. They even go as far as deleting account and post to these stories. They do not want people to know anything that resembles the truth. So if the media chooses to do this to citizens then where are we to turn?How do we get the word out ?

• Profile picture of Laura Dapkus
    Laura Dapkus 4 years ago

Jenifer, and everyone else, thanks for your comments. Regarding what you can do - responsible dog owners who live in East Texas, please contact your State Rep and State Senator (get their contact info here): http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Address.aspx
    and ask them why existing laws are not being enforced - even in unincorporated areas, you can have leash laws and the state dangerous dog laws apply.

This site has the latest on Texas BSL and how you can help:

The oldest breed-specific laws in the country are being repealed. Even England is looking at repealing their 1991 law. If these laws worked and were cost-effective, they wouldn't be getting repealed! As long as we live in a democracy, there is no quick fix for the wide range of accidents and crimes our communities face and dog bites are no exception.

Thanks again!
    -Laura D.

• Wounded 4 years ago

A German Shepard bit my ear when I was 2. Kids had been throwing rocks at it the day before. Not the dog's fault. The kids, the dog owner, and my mom all contributed (I excuse myself since I was 2 and just wanted to pet the doggie) because they could have kept it from happening. Some dogs are aggressive, but most are not and were aggravated in some way.