As September fades away and we transition into fall, I’ve heard the comments among recruiters, social service providers and hiring influencers suggesting to job-seekers that they revisit the “Career Fair Circuit" and consider marketing themselves to no less than five (5) full service staffing agencies (temp & perm).
As a veteran of the Philly & NYC staffing industries I always see these firms as a viable option. I’ll save my input on the top agencies in the Philly market for another article. I’ve decided to use this piece to share information I recently received from The Quarter Roll Magazine. Please follow the link to a list of upcoming career fairs in the Philadelphia Region. Remember that your employment search is most successful when you adopt a multi-tiered approach. These fairs should only be one component of a successful job search strategy. If you do take on the career fair battle, be ready to go the distance with these 10 tips.
The East Coast Executives' Career Fair 10 count:
1. Pre-register: (allow the employers to see you in advance)
2. Research: (know about the companies you have interest in)
3. Resumes: (bring as many as you can)
4. Portfolios: (references, certificates, writing samples, etc... don't be caught off guard)
5. Attire: (over dressed is better than under dressed)
6. Strategy: (if you have a plan going in...you won't waste valuable time)
7. Speak It: (elevator speech, 30 second commercial...practice it & utilize it)
8. Smile: (it sounds so simple but so many people don't do it)
9. Network: (you never know who you may come across that can hire you)
10. Follow-up: (I'll venture to say this is the one thing you can't afford to overlook)
If you found this article useful and would like to be notified when new content from Kenneth L. Johnson, the top ranked diversity recruiting expert as recognized by Google, is released please subscribe.