Apparently it is earthquake season again as a slew of earthquakes in the 5. + range have struck across the globe over the last week. Below is a list of the quakes above 5.0, over the last few days.
- 5.8 in the Keril Islands, off of Russia’s coast, on Sunday, March 10, 2013.
- 5.5 just off the coast of Guatemala, on Sunday, March 10, 2013.
- 5.0 in the Mariana Islands region, approximately 300 miles from Guam, on March 10, 2013
- 5.0 off of the cost of Japan
- 5.3 in Southern Xinjiang, China on March 11, 2013
- 5.1 and 5.2 in the southern California desert on Monday, March 11, 2013.
- 5.1 in the Prince Edward Islands Region on Monday, March 11, 2013
- 5.1 near the east coast of Honshu, Japan on Tuesday, March 12, 2013
- 5.0 in the New Britain Region, Papua New Guinea, Tuesday, March 12, 2013
- 5.6 in the Kamchatka Peninsula of Russia on Wednesday, March 13, 2013
- 5.0 in central Alaska on Wednesday, March 13, 2013
Quakes in the 5.+ range were also reported in Nepal, Italy, Indonesia and other places late last week as reported by the United States Geological Society. Use the link to view the latest quake map.
On the two year anniversary of the devastating quake that struck Japan and caused the deaths of approximately 20,000 people, recent reports indicate that Japan is bracing for another large quake. This is in light of the recent smaller quakes that have been hitting the region, which they are considering a precursor to a larger quake.
Several corporations in Japan are setting up disaster shelters in their buildings for employees, and nearby residents should there be a large disaster.