If you are interested in establishing a new business or considering investing into a franchise or existing business in New York, then E-2 Treaty Investor Visa could be a viable option for foreign nationals.
E-2 Treaty Investor visa is available to over 70 countries with treaties with the United States. It is characterized by 3 distinct facts:
1. Flexible in terms of industry – E-2 visa holders are allowed to establish all types of businesses, they can technology, retail, education, hospitality or any other legitimate business in the United States.
2. Smaller capital required – Average investment capital required ranges from $50,000 to $125,000. The capital required is based on the type of business / industry you are interested to establish. If you are stating you are coming to U.S. to establish an web business, then the required capital will not be substantial. However, if your business is to set up a gas station, then of course, the required capital will be more.
3. Processing Time: The processing time for E-2 is very fast, subsequent renewals are also relatively easily processed. Processing time in some consulates can be done within 2 or 3 weeks, some busier consulate or embassies will require longer time to process.
Naturally, many E-2 visa holders live in New York. In our own experience, we had assisted clients moving to the U.S. under E-2 visa under different industries.
Some examples include:
1. European family who had moved to U.S. by establishing a bakery in New York.
2. Australian family who had moved to U.S. by owning an Australian themed restaurant
3. New Zealand professional moved to U.S. by establishing a trading company between New Zealand and U.S.
4. Taiwanese family who had moved to U.S. in plastics moulding business.
5. Canadian family moved to the U.S. and operating a tutoring center.
6. A Swedish family moved to the U.S. and operating an arts school.
7. Spanish family who had moved to the U.S. and operating a kids activities center.
Some had moved here as a start-up business, some had invested into a franchise, some had even opened their own franchise in the U.S. E-2′s flexibility in terms of industry allows entrepreneurs to consider different options and explore new opportunities in the United States without significant capital risk.
If you are currently in New York and considering setting up a new business, or if you are thinking about moving to the U.S. and looking at an entrepreneur type visa, E-2 could be a viable option for you.
As a starting point, you can visit our website and find more information about E-2 Treaty Investor Visa, or complete our Free Assessment to see if you are eligible for E-2 Treaty Investor Visa.