The “Dancing With the Stars” dance floor could look very different for Season 19. The long running celebrity ballroom competition is scheduled to return to ABC this fall, but four of the show’s most popular alums may not be returning.
According to a report on Monday by Glamour, past mirrorball winners Derek Hough, Mark Ballas, Cheryl Burke and Maksim Chmerkovskiy could be out for the show’s 19th season.
When asked if he was coming back for the fall cycle of the show, Hough told Glamour, "I don't know yet. I have a few weeks [to decide]." He also said that he and childhood pal Mark Ballas are a “package deal,” and added that he wants “to be inspired.” The Emmy winning choreographer was definitely inspired last season when he was paired with double amputee Paralympic snowboarder Amy Purdy, so it could be hard for producers to top that match-up.
As for Ballas, while he seconded Hough’s “package deal” motion, he revealed that he hasn’t even been asked about next season yet. "We usually don't get the call until about five days before," he revealed. But he added that he loves the show, and he wouldn’t rule out doing it without his blonde BFF.
"Of course, we love doing the show and I’d be honored to do another season, but we just have to see if everything works out. It's just up in the air,” Ballas said. “I mean, even though we’re best friends and kind of come as a package...we’ll just look at [the offer] when it comes in."
“DWTS” show runner Rob Wade has gone on record as saying he wants Maks Chmerkovskiy back, but the Ukrainian dance pro has already said he can never top last season’s mirrorball win with Olympic darling Meryl Davis.
Wade told E! News, "I'm absolutely hoping Maks comes back to the show. I don't know whether it's going to be as a dancer. I think there's a number of different things we can talk to him about and the way he'd be involved in the show. Maks will always be part of ‘Dancing With the Stars’ in some way."
Meanwhile, Cheryl Burke revealed earlier this month that she may be hanging up her dancing shoes after ten years on the show. During an appearance on Access Hollywood, the “DWTS” regular said she’s not sure of her plans yet. “I haven't made up my mind,” she said. “Things are still up in the air. ... This will be my 18th season. Officially I've spent a decade on ‘Dancing With the Stars.’ I started when I was 20, I'm now 30. So I'm actually not sure yet."
Two people who will definitely be back when “Dancing With the Stars” Season 19 premieres in September? Host Tom Bergeron and his co-host Erin Andrews. And with a judges’ chair now available (in May, Len Goodman announced he’s leaving the show), Chmerkovskiy could possibly parlay his guest judging stint into a permanent one.
“Dancing With the Stars” Season 19 will premiere on Monday, September 15 at 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC.