Summer is the time when people get to spend extra time with their beloved canines. One thing that people like to do with their pets is to visit local dog parks if they live in the city or suburbs. In DuPage County there are several locations where dog families are able to visit. These include the following Forest Preserves and the Preserve Descriptions (in alphabetical order):
1. Blackwell in Warrenville is a 10-acre fenced-in facility that is located at the south side of Mack Road 0.25 miles east of Route 59. This park is closed on Mondays until 9:00 a.m.
2. East Brand in Glendale Heights is a training pond consistent of 60 acres. It is located on the west side of Swift Road one mile north of North Avenue. This park is closed on Mondays until 9:00 a.m.
3. Greene Valley in Naperville is a 1.5 acre for small dogs and 14.5 acres for large dogs which is fully-fenced. It is located on the east side of Greene Road south of Hobson Road and north of 75th Street. It is closed on Wednesdays until 10:00 a.m.
4. Mayslake in Oak Brook has been under construction since April of 2013. Only a temporary area south of the parking lot has been open during the construction. (Please read for more information. This fully-fenced, four-acre facility is located on the east side of St. Paschal’s Drive south of 31st Street and west of Route 83. It is closed on Thursdays until 9:00 a.m.
5. Pratt’s Wayne Woods in Wayne is 23 acres of property in which three-quarters have been fenced in. It is located on the east side of Powis Road one mile north of Army Trail Road. It is closed on Thursdays until 9:00 a.m.
6. Springbrook Prairie in Naperville is a fully fenced forest preserve. It consists of 37 acres on the north side of 83rd Street west of Book Road. It is closed on Thursdays until 10:00 a.m.
The cost of the Annual and Daily Permits are as such:
1. A DuPage Resident will pay $40 per year for the first dog or $8 per day. A Nonresident will pay $150 per year or $20 per day.
2. Each additional dog in the same family is $8 per year or $8 per day for Residents and $25 per year or $20 per day for Nonresidents.
You can purchase the permits in person with cash, check or credit card (Visa, Mastercard or Discover only!) by visiting the District Headquarters Visitor Services Department at 3S580 Naperville Road in Wheaton, Illinois. Phone 630.933.7248 for directions or more information. They are open weekdays from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m.
All applicants must be 18 years of age or older. If the applicant is a senior citizen, an active U.S. military personnel or have been honorably discharged from the U.S. military, they are entitled to one free annual permit per household per year.
Each annual permit is valid from January 1st until December 31st in each calendar year. If a permit is purchased after September 1st, they can be purchased for half price for the owners’ first dogs; valid through December 31st of the same year. The fees for any additional dogs will not be discounted. Click on Daily Dog Permit Form Annual Dog Permit Form to obtain the required forms.