Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Top News

Dunkin' Donuts carbon monoxide: High levels of toxic gas sensed by fitted guest

See also

A Dunkin’ Donuts carbon monoxide scare is one strange news story surging across headlines this evening, and due to the highly serendipitous nature of the case, it’s not hard to see why. Earlier this week, a customer at a New York Dunkin’ Donuts just happened to walk inside wearing fitted equipment that could sense high levels of the toxic gas, and believe it or not — the equipment went off, revealing the presence of carbon monoxide in the locale. ABC News confirms this Sunday, June 1, 2014, that no one was fortunately hurt from the temporary exposure, but things might have gone ill had not this lucky break occurred for restaurant owners and guests alike.

While walking in for his usual cup of coffee in the early morning — shortly after 4 a.m. eastern time — an ambulance technician unknowingly revealed a very dangerous threat that loomed invisibly in the air. Shortly after the individual arrived at the Carle Place, New York, Dunkin’ Donuts store, his fitted equipment — capable of sensing traces of carbon monoxide in the air — went off in alarm. The incident itself occurred early on Friday morning shortly upon the guest's arrival, says the report.

Yahoo! News notes in their own coverage that as soon as the emergency detector began to buzz, the ambulance technician realized that the store was emitting high levels of the potentially dangerous and toxic gas. Acting quickly, the correctly fitted and opportune figure quickly evacuated all employees and any other customers out of the store. The local authorities were also notified about the situation.

It appears that a foul vent was to blame for the Dunkin’ Donuts carbon monoxide threat. One of the ovens was emitting the invisible, poisonous gas, and special teams soon arrived at the small New York site to remedy the situation and make the store safe for future guests. Carbon monoxide is both colorless and odorless, making it a particular danger — too much time exposed to the gas can lead to human deaths. Fortunately, this well-equipped and well-fitted hero had both the equipment and skills necessary to save the morning this time around, even without a usual cup of coffee.

Advertisement

News

  • Gaza conflict
    Israel official: Ceasefire and expanding Gaza conflict are both being discussed
    Video
    Video
  • Air Algerie crash
    Conflicting reports about the Air Algerie disappearance begin to emerge
    Top News
  • Arizona execution
    A Senator familiar with torture denounces Joseph Wood's botched execution as such
    US News
  • Ray Rice suspended
    Ravens' running back Ray Rice is suspended for two games for a domestic violence arrest
    Sports
  • Amazon tribe falls ill
    An Amazonian tribe catches influenza after making first contact with the developed world
    Headlines
  • CIA prison in Poland
    Poland is declared guilty of human rights violations for hosting a secret CIA prison
    Video
    Video

Related Videos:

  • Drunk man almost opens plane door during flight, major scare
    <div class="video-info" data-id="518339605" data-param-name="playList" data-provider="5min" data-url="http://pshared.5min.com/Scripts/PlayerSeed.js?sid=1304&width=480&height=401&playList=518339605&autoStart=true"></div>
  • Angry husband sends wife spreadsheet of a month of sex rejections
    <div class="video-info" data-id="518331091" data-param-name="playList" data-provider="5min" data-url="http://pshared.5min.com/Scripts/PlayerSeed.js?sid=1304&width=480&height=401&playList=518331091&autoStart=true"></div>
  • Woman who shot cheating boyfriend for not producing 'enough ejaculate' set free
    <div class="video-info" data-id="518331812" data-param-name="playList" data-provider="5min" data-url="http://pshared.5min.com/Scripts/PlayerSeed.js?sid=1304&width=480&height=401&playList=518331812&autoStart=true"></div>