The fifth-ranked Duke Blue Devils won their fourth straight ACC regular season crown with an easy 75-59 victory over the eighth-ranked Maryland Terrapins on Feb. 24, despite being without junior guard Chelsea Gray. Gray is out for the remainder of the season after dislocating her right knee cap against Wake Forest on Feb.17.
"It certainly is an honor to be the regular season champion," said Duke coach Joanne P. McCallie following the game. "I think that's the hardest one to win because it says a team has gone through a season -- again, with injury or other things happening -- and really been consistent. I think that's really a special thing for our team."
Elizabeth Williams paced four Duke players with 16 points on 7-of-11 shooting from the field. Tricia Liston, Alexis Jones and Haley Peters added 15 points apiece for the Blue Devils (26-1, 16-0 in the ACC). Jones fell just short of recording a triple-double as she dished out nine assists and grabbed eight rebounds.
Duke has won 10 straight games and completed a season sweep of Maryland (22-5, 13-3). Also with the win, the Blue Devils improved to 6-1 against ranked opponents.
Duke, the nation’s top three-point shooting team, shot 48.3 percent (29-60) from the field and was 6-of-12 from beyond the arc (50 percent). The Blue Devils also knocked down 11-of-12 free throws (91.7 percent).
In the meantime, the Terrapins shot 42.6 percent (26-61) from the field but were just 3-of-18 from long distance (16.7percent). Maryland also only attempted seven free throws (4-of-7).
Tianna Hawkins led the Terrapins with 16 points and nine rebounds and Alyssa Thomas chipped in with 14 points.
- Jones scored 13 of her career-high 15 points in the second half.
- The loss snapped Maryland’s three-game winning streak.
- The Terrapins, who came into the game shooting 34.8 percent from the three-point line, were 0-of-9 from long-distance in the first half.
- Duke has won 12 regular season ACC titles.
- The Blue Devils have dished out 15 assists and committed 11 turnovers.
- Maryland won the rebound battle 34-33 but Duke held a 38-26 advantage in points in the paint.
- Jones was named ACC Rookie of the Week for the second straight week on Feb. 25, after leading the Blue Devils to two victories over ranked-opponents since taking over point guard duties for Chelsea Gray. Jones averaged 10.5 points, 6.5 assists, 5.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals for the week.