Skip to main content

See also:

Dude! Four Americans Were Killed In Benghazi, What Difference Does It Make?

Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images
Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images
Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images

More rant-and-rave-news surfaced that continues probes on particulars possibly missed during the investigation into the US Embassy attacks in Benghazi that killed four service members September 11, 2012.
During that day an anti-American protest had sprung up at the embassy in Cairo after Egyptian media reported on a 14-minute video trailer produced by an Israeli-American which protesters characterized as anti-Islam.
That night in Benghazi, over an eight hour stint, the mission compound and a nearby CIA Annex building were under attack by heavily armed militants who’d rushed the compound, eventually setting it afire bringing defense down.
By the end of the fight, US Ambassador Chris Stevens, US Foreign Service Officer Sean Smith and former Navy SEALS Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods were dead.
Former Deputy Chief of Mission in Libya Gregory Hicks, who was in Tripoli when the attacks began, told ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos that he’d spoken with Stevens around 9:40 p.m. confirming that the embassy was under attack. He’d then reported the news to the State Department in Washington expecting to receive military assistance. The Pentagon insists that there was “no way to respond in time, military assets could not get there.”
When asked about whether he’d been alerted about protests that were taking place in Egypt, Hicks said, “it (the video) was a non-event in Libya, we heard nothing about protests.”
Last week an email dated Sept. 14 was released where senior Obama administration officials discussed deliberate explanation of the attacks to be delivered to the public. In it, President Obama’s deputy national security advisor Ben Rhodes wrote that the US ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice would declare the attacks as retaliation to an anti-Islamic video and “not a broader failure of policy.”
On September 16, Rice spouted just that to the American public via five media outlets while that same day Libyan Pres. Mohamed Yousef el-Magariaf told CBS’ Face The Nation that the attack on the US consulate had been planned by individuals who’d entered his country just months before specifically to carry out the “criminal act” that was planned since their arrival.
The crux of opponents is that the Obama administration used the calculated explanation of the Benghazi attacks for political reasons ensuring questions of foreign policy failure were kept from the spotlight during the presidential election. Obama strongly denies such allegations.
Information analyzing details of the attacks have been shared through social media lines attempting opinion be subscribed to that of the curator. The media circulates partisan sly Meta descriptions attempting public influence, Republicans underscore dirty transparency, and Democrats allege political game-playing with all concurring vast opposed opinion.
But, Benghazi notes, political speculations, proponent accusations or breaking news headlines aren’t trending public interest or priority, therefore the integrity of the government’s intelligence goes unchallenged leaving the perception to some that loosing American service members has become mundane to our country’s leaders and their associates.
As debating government officials continue to point fingers to political gain, public influence and keeping bad decisions from scrutiny, service members from across the nation continue the duty of deploying to areas of the world equivalently dangerous as Libya, leaving behind family members to accept a country’s seemingly nonchalant position.
Captioning the comprehension of what happened that night is impossible to relay in brevity but media outlets are determined to craft a great hook. What’s missing in debate is the amount of time it took US leaders to respond to the attack.
According to a Defense Department timeline obtained by The AP, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta didn’t begin issuing verbal orders to assist until around midnight and 2 a.m. (local Benghazi time) over two hours after the attacks had begun.
During the Benghazi hearing, Brig. Gen. Robert Lovell (Ret.) who was on duty in Germany the night of the attacks told Congress that he and commanders waited for orders from the State Department to help in the fight but the request never came. Lovell testified, “The discussion is not could or could not of time, space and capability, the point is we should have tried.”
This generation of service members, brothers and sisters, husbands and wives, loved ones have engaged in war for more than a decade. Thousands have died, hundreds of thousand injured with millions affected. With the creed of leaving no brother or sister behind, loved ones of military service members must question how lagging Benghazi decisions affected those who faced or will face similar scenarios when waiting for help from leaders.